Follow us by email

Follow us by email

Thursday, February 14, 2019

February 
Styling with Stitches/Love
French Village Update
Valentine Freebie 

Happy Valentine's Day everyone.  Hope you get to spend time with the people that are special in your lives.   It's a great day to show love and kindness to others. Sometimes a smile can make another's day.  So sending smiles to all of you!



RJ's Music Box

I had a bigger project planned for today but then fate stepped in.   I was cleaning out a craft cabinet a few weeks ago that was filled with old crafts and things I don't really use too often.  But, towards the back there was a shoe box that was labeled "cross stitch".   I opened it up and I spotted it...a tiny music box!

I looked at it and my eyes welled up with tears.   It was more than 30 years old.  My parents had come to visit us in Alabama. Mom and I went out to pick up a few groceries and she spotted a cross stitch store in the strip mall.   Well, you know we had to go check it out.   It was the first real cross stitch store for both of us.   It was such a sweet store filled with many neat things to use for your stitches.   My Mom spotted the music boxes and said we both need one of these and put them in her basket.

Less than a month later, we were packed and moving to San Antonio, Texas for our next military assignment.   Before I even got my boxes unpacked and had the house settled, I got a call from my Dad that my Mom was very sick and to come home.   I spent nine months caring for my Mom until she passed on Valentine's Day at a very young age.   I didn't stitch for some time after getting back to Texas and I must have forgotten about the music box.

I had even forgotten the song it played.  It turned out to be "As time goes by". My husband is a big Bogie fan and Casablanca is one of his favorite movies.   I knew immediately I would put a stitch in it for him.  I used a sweet Shepherds Bush stitch that fit the box perfectly.   I smiled the whole time I stitched it remembering how happy my Mom was in that cross stitch store and finding these tiny music boxes.   This little project is filled with a lot of love...a Mom's love for her daughter with increased love for a special man.     
George's grandfather's pocket watch to go with "As Time Goes By" music box

Closeup of "Be Mine" cross stitch

Be Mine Kit
by Shepherds Bush
blush linen
silk threads included
bee button included

                                                          💝💝💝



Mary's Covered Box

I chose V is for Valentine by Heartstring Samplery for my stitch.  I wanted to mount it on a round wooden box.  After coming up empty handed for a wooden box, I resorted to a paper mache one.    To my surprise, the box took the chalk paint and waxing just fine.  I lined it with a pretty fabric and used sticky board to attach the stitch.  Black rickrack shows off the stitch.  It looked "blah" without it. Finishing is always a work in progress!!!

Does anyone have a tip on how to cut sticky board in a circular shape?  It was very difficult to cut with scissors and as you can see it's not perfect.

What Valentine's treat will my husband find in here? 

V is for Valentine
by Heartstring Samplery
called for threads
mystery linen


                                                        💝💝💝



RJ's French Village Update

Stitching these fun shops has been a totally enjoyable time.   I have three more to share today. I decided I needed a "boutique hotel" for my little French village.   I looked through my older patterns and found the Poinsettia House by LHN.   I thought with some tweaks and additions it would work well.  I think this would be the perfect spot for Vickie to stay.

To make it work, I lowered the windows a bit to fit a sign that said Le Poinsettia which means The Poinsettia.  I added little shrubs on the front, Christmas trees with little fences on the sides, and a small hanging sign that says HOTEL.  I used the same color Wild Berries for the bows to match the color of the Poinsettia wreath.   I think it worked. 
Le Poinsettia Hotel


The second stitch is the train station.  There were not too many changes to make here.  A black sign was added with the word Avignon.  I added an extra row to the boy's pants and a row to the boy's shirt to make him just a bit taller to match the taller station.  Two added rows to the bottom of the engine, two extra rows at the top and two extra stitches to the smoke stack made it the same height as the station.   I left off the trees on the right to keep it a smaller size for an ornament.
Train Station in Avignon


My newest stitch is probably my very favorite because of all the changes I made and how much fun it was to come up with ideas.  This is actually LHN's coffee shop that I didn't think I could use because it just didn't look French to me. But, it bothered me that I was not using a brand new pattern so I pulled it out again and decided to make it something else. 

It is now an antique/second hand store.   There were a ton of changes on this one.   I started with making it olive instead of brandied pears.   I added a painted flower instead of the coffeepot in the peak.  A sign that says Brocante was added.  I changed the awning to reds and creams.  Then, I added different benches to the front of the shop in hickory sticks to look like iron.   At first they were not showing up...so I stitched over them again.   It made the color pop and they have a bit of 3D look as they are thicker than the rest of the stitch.   But now the real challenge came.  What do I put in those windows?   I had no little antique stitches in my stash.   My first thought was an antique quilt hanging in the window.  So, I stitched an iron rod across the window and began to stitch a block quilt checkerboard style.  Then, I thought why not put flowers on the white blocks. That worked.

But, there was the other window and I was at a total loss what to put in it.   Alot of the other shops had Christmas trees so that seemed like a good idea.  I used the one from the clock shop but made it taller and wider.   I then thought of my husband's antique standing radio.   It had a simple design so I gave it a try.   I basically made a rectangle and rounded off the top.  Then, I made a screen in white and dials with French knots.  And, then a lighter color for the fabric that covers the speaker.   The window still did not look full enough to go with the window with the quilt.   I thought of alot of different things but settled on adding garland to the top of the window.  Not done yet!!!  Now, the windows needed to be wider and longer to fit the quilt which meant the door had to be adjusted too.   I put a big header in cream and added windows to the door and changed the color to red.  The final touch was to add steps and snow and I had myself a sweet Brocante that I love. It's now my favorite French shop.
The Coffee Shop becomes an Antique Shop
                                           
                                                          💝💝💝



Valentine Freebie
We have a little freebie for you.  This is a complimentary chart from Hands on Design.   You can find the pattern here    Hope you enjoy this sweet stitch from Cathy.



                                                          💝💝💝



Thank you so much for your visits and kind comments.   They really mean a lot to us.  We have a "grab bag" post coming up  next.   Lots of new projects are coming in the near future too that we hope you will enjoy.   We look forward to coming by and seeing all of your new stitches and crafts too.  Happy stitching!!!
                                                 
                                                   Stitching Friends 


                               Life is the flower for which love is the honey.
                                                           Victor Hugo

41 comments:

  1. Mary, I love the box. You did great with the inside too. It is so cute and creative. I have a little jewelry box of my mom's that I might do something similar.
    RJ, that little French town is beyond adorable. You have been so creative with it.
    The music box is just perfect. I love having things around that have memories. Losing parents is hard at every age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always look forward to seeing your posts, ideas and great finishes. Now I have to ask where was the LNS you mentioned that was in Alabama? I loved the story of the music box! Such a treasure! RJ what a perfect antique shop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a nice memory, so you always have your mother with you when you hear the music box. You have made a magical heart, and a great finish. I also like the Valentines pattern from Mary very well. That's how a pretty tin was made.
    The hotel looks great, I like the color you have taken for the house. I have already stitched the station, a nice pattern. RJ - you made some great changes and the cafe has turned into a great antiquity store, very creative.
    I wish you all the best, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quanti progetti bellissimi! E grazie per il free, mi piace molto come è confezionato

    ReplyDelete
  5. RJ you brought tears to my eyes this morning , I am a big softy and reading your story about the music box was so sweet. Love the stitching you used .Also Love your shops and houses they are just wonderful.

    Mary , your box is just wonderful what a great stitch and finish . A die machine cutter should cut a good shape .

    I use my one allot .
    Enjoy a lovely weekend both and thank you for another lovely post.

    Thank you both for the lovely free chart

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really was a heart warming post. The music box is so special and I know that every time toy see it you will think about your wonderful mother and your happy times together. I do really like the V is for Valentine design, I should put it on my list to look out for. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story about the music box.
    Sorry your Mom passed away so young.
    I love all of the changes you make on your Villages.
    These are all so cute.
    Mary, I've never tried a round shape, but was thinking maybe you could smooth the rough edges out with an emery board?
    I love the box though, very nice.
    I love those rounds by Heartstring.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. RJ what a beautiful story, your music box is certainly a treasure
    Mary that's a beautiful box, have you tried using a craft blade, that might work if you cut round something solid like a cup.
    Happy Valentine's to you both x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh RJ. The music box story. Thank you for sharing it. I love your finish. Mary what a lovely Valentine box! RJ your French village is coming together so beautifully. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, your Valentine box is so sweet and the black ric-rac really helps it pop! Olfa makes a circular cutter to help with circles. You can get it at JoAnns with a coupon. Mat/sticky board is a bugger to cut with scissors!!
    RJ, your music box is precious, as is the story that goes with it. Valentine's Day must be tough for you, but you have created a lovely memory to associate with it now. Your French village is fabulous--each piece better than the one before. I love your attention to detail and all the changes you do to make them your own. Hope you both had great Valentine's Days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. RJ … your music box is so lovely, a very touching story. The village is coming along beautifully.

    Mary … the box is wonderful. Sorry I can't on the sticky board as I don't use it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello RJ,
    What a beautiful memory that you associate with the music box of your mother. You worked a very nice embroidery there.
    Your next houses from the French village are beautiful. I like them all three.

    Hello Mary,
    your little Valentine Stitching is so beautiful and a wonderful little finish.

    Hugs, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rj & Mary, always enjoy reading your posts and admiring your beautiful work. Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary, sticky board is the WORST when it comes to cutting. Sometimes I use an exacto knife but it is still tough. I love the box you made and it turned out great.

    RJ what special memories the music box held for you. So glad that you found it so that you could take that walk down memory lane. The box turned out great and I am sure your DH loves it as well. I love, love, love your new building and you did a great job modifying the stitches for your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a delightful post. I loved the story about finding the music box. I lost my mom way too soon also, so I can imagine how finking the music box made you feel! Mary, your box looks just fine to me. What a pretty design. That French village is really looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of your projects look fabulous! I always enjoy seeing what you both have been up to. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh RJ, what a lovely memory and a treasure of a music box. Your village looks wonderful, how many more buildings are there?
    Mary, your box is lovely too, great finishing job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. RJ, I enjoyed reading the special story behind your finish. Mary, the black rick rack and fabric lining really shows off your beautiful stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The little boxes are so delightful, what a treasure the music box is. Thank you for sharing you story behind it.
    Sweet little shops, great changes to made to them all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Mary and RJ...

    Oh my goodness I don’t check my blog post update for 2 days and look what I missed!!!

    Oh RJ, I am just in tears right now. I am sitting in a little coffee shop after church and I am in tears! Your music box! Your precious and very dear music box! It is beautiful, and priceless and touches my heart! Wait just a minute...I need to wipe the tears! Ok that is better!! The memories for you...the memories for me...I know you get it! And the pocket watch...again so many memories for me! All I can say is I love you my friend...here is a hug...

    And Mary...your covered box is just beautiful! I love covered boxes! I made one for my Grandmother after I moved away to Indiana! I mailed it and it was a “ just because “ gift and she treasured that little box and used It everyday until she passed away! You are just so talented and I love all the things that you create for your home! That precious little box is just the perfect accent! I LOVE it!!

    And your French Village RJ is another treasure! You know you are both so very talented and true artists! The changes you make to these pieces to make them your own are just amazing! I am truly inspired!!

    Thank you both for an absolutely beautiful blog post! Not only have you inspired me you have also touched my heart and left a heartprint there that will stay forever! I love you guys! Sending hugs and love your way!! Happy Sunday ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello there,
    and again you wrote such a wonderful post, the beautiful embroideries, your great photos and stories made me very happy.
    Many thanks for the effort you make every time, a nice new week, dear Mary, dear RJ,
    Jutta

    ReplyDelete
  22. Un merveilleux message pour la Saint Valentin ( prénom de mon plus jeune fils ). Des ouvrages magnifiques, la série des maisons est superbe. L'histoire merveilleuse de la petite boîte à musique avec sa broderie maintenant. C'est émouvant de retrouver des choses que l'on avait mis de côté... La boîte peinte est splendide également.
    Merci de nous gâter ainsi à chaque billet sur votre blog.
    Amitiés de France,
    Christel
    http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. RJ, your story is beautiful and sad at the same time.
    You have such a pretty treasure, love the music box and the delicate stitched piece that you used is perfect! Your progress on the french villages is very beautiful, the hotel colours are so lovely!
    V is for Valentine is beautiful, Mary! So nice round box finish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, RJ and Mary! So sorry to wait so long to post. My iMac is dying, and I am in mourning. I have not wanted to be on any computer much lately because it has been so frustrating. I have a new one coming Thursday, so wish me luck transferring old files to the new computer. I wish things would just ALWAYS work.

    Do you have any cheese I could have with my whine? :-)

    Such a sweet story and memory about your mom, RJ. I'm sorry you had to lose her at such a young age. I'm glad finding the music box let you relive such a happy moment with her, though.

    Mary, your V is for Valentine box is adorable! I have not read through your previous comments, but I hope someone had a good tip for cutting sticky board in a circle. I have a hard enough time just cutting a straight line on the stuff. If it were me, I would use chipboard, then attach batting with spray adhesive or glue. Use a running (basting) stitch around the perimeter of your stitch and gather the thread to pull it tight around the circle shape, adjusting it so it's centered, then secure it with some glue on the back.

    Great idea to use a paper maché box!

    RJ, your French village is coming along beautifully! Your design skills are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That makes me so very sad to know you lost your mom at such a young age, RJ... I can't begin to imagine how hard that must have been. I'm so glad you stumbled upon that music box--what a wonderful gift to come to you--again! It is a beautiful piece in every way and I know each time you hear the music you'll be remembering fun times with your mom... Your French Village is charming--such great jobs on redesigning the buildings themselves!

    And Mary, your piece is so sweet. Great job on the box--I love it when a stitched piece is not only pretty, but useful, too :) I have only ever cut oval or round pieces of sticky board for my small ornaments and I just use scissors. I then attach batting to the sticky part and put the stitching on that. You could try using sand paper to even out the edges--I've done that on small things.

    Hope your February is going well, my friends! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your story of the music box. What a treasure! You have done a wonderful job customizing your French Village! It is super cute! The V is for Valentine box is adorable and beautifully finished, I think! I find that cutting round shapes is just plain hard but it helps to have a very good, sharp, strong pair of CRAFT scissors. I have some pink ones from Singer that I bought at Hobby Lobby. They do a good job. They have a slightly serrated edge and a rubberized grip to make it easier to use. Their shorter blade makes it easier to trim off the lumps and bumps and pointy bits that sometime need trimming on a what should be a curved edge. I can imagine there are even better strong craft scissors out there. Thank you for the link to the freebie! It's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mary: Your box is beautiful, I love the rick-rack such a lovely addition.
    I use a circle and draw the line then use a craft knife to cut out the circle, I have found this to be easier then scissors.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  28. RJ: Your story about your Mother touch's my heart, what a beautiful memory.
    Giving this beautiful box to George is such a sweet idea.
    I love all the changes you have made to the LHN designs, the quilt in the window is so cute.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  29. RJ: A lovely memory with the music box! How fun to find such a piece in your first real cross-stitch store, and with your mother. I'm sorry you lost her at a young age. It's great that the music box is a gift for your husband now though, a perfect little Valentine. Love the unique little changes to your LHN shops. I think my favorite is the train station but I really like that train design!

    Mary: The covered box looks so nice. I have no special wisdom for cutting circles. Basically I just pray and snip away hah. :) I would think it hard to line up the fabric inside the box; that looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hola amiga
    Acabo de conocer tu bellísimo blog y ay me quede porque esta entrada recordando a tu querida madre me atrapo!!!! Yo soy cubana y trabajo aquí en Panamá lejos de mi madre y créeme que te entiendo y eso que tengo la suerte de tenerla aun. Disfruta amiga de su recuerdo y recuérdala siempremcon amor y alegría. Recuerda que esa caja de música y el hilo de la música te llevara a ella
    Un abrazo y desde hoy te sigo y espero conocerte mas y disfrutar de nuestra pasión por el punto de cruz
    Me encantaría verte también por mi blog
    ️Parchesdeamor
    Besos
    Dianet

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great finish on the Valentine box. I have that pattern in my stash. I was given one of those music boxes. Belonged to a stitching friend of mine who passed away several years ago. Her daughter recently gave it to me as she was downsizing for a move. It has my friend’s initial stitched on it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the little music box, I've never seen anything like that before. What a sweet memory to have.
    The French Village is looking amazing, I love all the changes you've been making.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ladies, time has been in short supply for me of late, which is why I'm only now commenting on your finishes here. They are lovely. Even when I haven't the time to leave a comment, I do (at the very least) scan through your INSPIRING pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again. avalanchereviewzone

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  40. RJ, your story about the music box made me cry but what a wonderful memory of your dear mother. Mary, gorgeous Valentine and the circle looks perfect to me. Thanks for the freebie, too.

    ReplyDelete