Follow us by email

Follow us by email

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

August Sunflowers
Week three

Something Old Made New
Monthly Free Pattern

We are deep into summer and hope all of you are enjoying warm weather and vacations. It's week three and it's time to come up with another way to doll up an older ornament.


RJ - I picked the train station from the Hometown series by Little House Needleworks.   I stitched it on 25 ct. Lugana over one to make it small enough for an ornament.   Because of my love for French things and my French tree, I added Avignon, France on the bottom of this ornament.

Before: When we visited Avignon, there was a train station which made it a good selection for another French ornament.   This was a fun stitch but needed a little embellishment.




After: I wanted to do something special for this stitch because I loved my time so much while I was there.   Well it's French and it's petite so the dreaded ruching seemed like a good solution.  I had this brown and white ticking ribbon which seemed like it would work well with this ornament.  I ruched it up and added it around the train stitch. It was easier than my first try at ruching but still took me all night to attach it.  I guess I'm just a very slow hand sewer!   A bow at the top with a cute little train engine charm and my old ornament was made new.

I added brown ticking ruched ribbon, a bow and a train engine charm.


Closeup with added Avignon, France.  When it hangs, you will see the hearts better.


Cute little train engine came from Joann's


Train Station from the Hometown Series
by Little House Needleworks
25 ct. lugana one over one
called for threads
charm found in Joann's

                                                                            ❤


Mary -    My something "old" is "Down Jinglepot Road"  by The Victoria Sampler Designs by Cathy Jean.  The pattern can be found in the Just Cross Stitch 2014 Special Christmas issue.

I made this for my good friend who owns a Christmas Tree Farm.  I loved the magazine finish and did my best to copy it. 


This is a photo of the stitch from the magazine

This is my original finish

I added a felt applique and brass bells to the back for my something new

Down Jinglepot Road
by Victoria Sampler Designs
30 ct. linen

Freebie

August Freebie -  We have found another very pretty free pattern from Sub Rosa.   You can find the chart and the colors here   While you are there look at all of the very pretty patterns Eszter has for sale.   Mary and I have a long wish list.


Thanks so much for visiting us today. Next week we will be showing our new stitches.   Hope to see you then.  RJ and Mary
                                         



                         Be a sunflower, stand strong and follow the sun
                                                 author unknown









31 comments:

  1. Hi RJ - i stitched the Train Station to, and other motifs from this series. I love your new finish.
    And Mary - the bells makes ist perfekt. It looks great.
    Hugs, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,comme c'est sympa,j'irais a Avignon dans peu de temps!
    Le petit coussin a une superbe et fine finition,tous les deux sont si jolis
    que l'on a envie d'en broder bien vite.
    Belle semaine
    Amicalement

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Train Station looks great. I like it.
    And the Ornament with the truck is beautiful. The little bells are a great idea.
    Best wishes Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  4. RJ, adding the rushed ribbon and the little bow gives the ornament a totally different look. I just love the little train charm.

    Mary, isn't it amazing what a row of little bells added to one edge can do to an ornament? So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just lovely redo's so creative 💕I too have a wish list of SubRosa designs so gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful additions/updates to your original work. You both are quite clever and creative and I enjoy seeing your "Something Old Made New"....keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your stitching and your finishing. I loved the ruched ribbon because it hides my sometimes less than perfect corners.:) You both inspire me. I love the little bells on the truck ornament. I would have never thought of adding those so I may be "stealing" your idea. Thanks for sharing the freebie patterns as well. I saw several Sub Rosa freebies that I might want to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both refreshes were wonderful. I love the "Something Old Made New". I love the freebie and that site as well.
    Great work ---love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love the ruched ribbon addition! Mary, the felt applique on the back is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of your ornament "renovations" look super. RJ, I like the ruched ribbon and train charm edition. Mary, the addition of the bells and the holly are sweet. Thank you for the link to the complimentary design. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful finishes....I love how you have changed the look completely just by adding another detail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. RJ, I love your additions to your ornament! Looking at it I'd think that the ruching would go quickly. I've learned that when I think that I'm almost always dead WRONG! It's beautiful!

    Mary, The bells at the bottom are a perfect addition! It's a prim piece but your changes kept to that very well.

    I've really enjoyed this series and am now looking at my few ornament finishes through different eyes. Thank you both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your finishes you have true talent .
    I really love your new blog .
    Thank you for the link to the free chart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your ornament finishes :) the ruching is simply perfect ...have got my charts and are going to be kitted up asap :) can't wait to start them but have got a few finishes to do first :) .love mouse xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mary and RJ.....
    I am still smiling after reading your post! This is a very sentimental one for me this time and here is why...

    RJ... Main Street Station is the ornament I am stitching for Scott this year! When we were dating we lived 3 hours away from each other so Amtrak was the way to travel to see each other 🙂 Del Mar became " our" station and this is the perfect " remember when" ornament! Thank you for the wonderful idea for finishing it off! I love it all and the little charm...well off to JoAnn's I go! Great job my friend!

    Mary...Every year my family will go and cut down our Christmas tree and when the kids were smal we would take our " little red pickup " and put the tree in the back end and head on home! Another great " remember when" ornament and I love how you finished it! The details are perfect!

    Thank you for another enjoyable post! Sending hugs and love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you both did with your finishes. I keep thinking I might get some of my old ornaments out and redo them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. RJ, your ornament is to adorable! Love the charm! I don't think you are a slower sewer! ;)

    Mary, love the addition of the bells! Sweet ornament!

    Hugs,
    Lili

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now I'm singing "Sur la pont d'avignon"! Thanks for the ear worm LOL
    Two lovely ornies. I think I could manage the little bells but not the ruched ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't it amazing what a little ribbon, a charm, and a few bells can do for an ornament? It's the little things that count and you two both did a wonderful job on your redo's!

    I stitched that freebie for two stitching friends when we met up for an afternoon of stitching a few years back--it totally summed up our time together :)

    Hope you are both doing well and enjoying this last little bit of summer...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary that ornament is so cute! I am sure your friend loved it and those jingle bells are a cute addition.

    RJ it might have taken you all night to make your old ornament new but it is simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad I've discovered your blog! I've read through all of your posts and your finishing skills are amazing :) Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautifully stitched and finished goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your finishes are inspirational! Love the brown ticking ruched ribbon and train charm. The brass bells are appropriately rustic.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What fantastic ways to freshen your finishes. Someone is getting inspired 😀. I'm such a fan of Eszter's. Currently, I'm stitching Polly Brown, but I have several of her smalls for Christmas/winter waiting in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  25. RJ: What a beautiful finish, so creative and classy.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mary: I like this design so much I have to look it up in the magazine and stitch one.
    I like bells so much and the applique on the back is perfect.
    I have bought several of SubRosa's designs , they are so sweet.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lindo, muito lindo! Cumprimentos e boa semana!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my...I thought I commented on this post, but apparently not!
    RJ...your updated finish is gorgeous! I must try the frilly ribbon someday...and the train charm is awesome!
    Mary...how cool to give this sweet homespun piece to someone who owns a Christmas tree farm! The bells are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Two more gorgeous and inspirational finishes! If I ever get round to finishing any of my stitched pieces I will come right here for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  30. They both look fantastic! I haven't tried ruching, yours looks great. I know I have some bells, I'll have to see what I can add them to.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautifully stitched and finished ornaments♥ Congrats Ladies! Thanks for sharing my freebie :)

    ReplyDelete