Follow us by email

Follow us by email

Thursday, February 28, 2019


Mistletoe in February
RJ's Grab Bag Post

You must be wondering why I'm posting about mistletoe in February?   Well love is our February theme and this is a little love story with a beautiful stitch to go with it.   So with encouragement from Mary I went with it.   Hope you like it too. 
                                                                              
I looked at this cross stitch pattern by Heartstring Samplery  in the fall over and over again. There were three band samplers to choose from but for some reason this one kept calling me back.  It was BIG and would take a long time to make so I kept passing on it. But, then one late night, I hit purchase and I was soon stitching  "it must have been the mistletoe"  every free moment I had.   It had to be done for Christmas because I realized why I loved it so much…it reminded me of a very special  night in my life.   It was made with lots of love and tons of hours of work for the most incredible person I know.  


This photo really dates us…my flip hairdo, George’s wide wale corduroy suit and a silver tree were a must!  I’m glad there was a photo because it turned out to be a night to remember.  It was our senior year of college and  we were going to a holiday party at George’s frat house right before Christmas.  I was excited about the new dress my Mom had made me and having a fun evening.

As we drove off from my house, George told me the car heater was not working.   I was soon freezing because it was a very cold and frosty night.  After awhile we were driving through a beautiful neighborhood and he stopped the car in front of one of the pretty decorated houses.   He pulled a blanket from the back seat and asked me to put that on my legs to help warm me up.   Then he gave me a pair of his leather gloves to put on my hands.   When I slipped my fingers into the one glove, I felt something hard.  I pulled it out and it was my engagement ring!  Of course I said yes.

 It was turning into a very special night.  After a kiss, I saw snow starting to fall.  There is something so unique about new fallen snow…romantic and pretty.

As we started driving again, the heater suddenly worked.  When we got to the house and were walking up the stairs, he brushed a snowflake from my nose.  It was truly a magical night!

We opened the door and one of the brothers had hung mistletoe in the hall.   I had my first kiss under the mistletoe.   I already knew I loved George but it must have been the mistletoe that made me love him even MORE!!!


I was almost done when I ran out of Juniper thread.   But, my trusty sidekick Mary had a brand new skein that she immediately put in the mail.   It looked like this but finished up quickly after receiving the floss.  I only had one line to go or so I thought.
But now I had a framing issue.   The stitch turned out to be about six inches wide and twelve inches long and I could not find a frame to use for it.   After some thought, I figured I could buy a frame with an 11 by 14 opening and the 14 would be perfect for the 12 inch length but I would have a lot of extra linen on each side.   So I decided to take a line from the stitch, turn it on it’s side, center it on each side of the finished stitch and keep stitching until I reached the top and bottom. 
It turned out perfectly and left an inch of linen showing all around the stitch.   It was my favorite line so I enjoyed stitching it again.  


My luck really kept going when I went to Super Joanne’s and found a really pretty frame half price plus I had a 30% off coupon to use.   It even came with the double mats which made the frame quite large and was just what I wanted for a Christmas stitch to sit on the mantle for the holidays.  It was stitched on 40 ct. raw linen and it popped well against the cream mats.  
In this photo I got the shadow of the chandelier and in the next photo the shadow of the fan.   No matter where I put it something would pop up.   

After I framed it, I attached the photo of George and me to the back and included a letter  telling how this stitch reminded me of that very special night.   I hope someday it will get passed down in the family and someone will enjoy reading about it.  
It must have been the Mistletoe
by  Heartstring Samplery
40 ct. raw linen
Juniper overdyed floss by Weeks
Frame from Joann's 


I truly loved stitching this beautiful pattern that Beth Twist designed.   It was one I didn't want to put down and actually didn't want to come to an end.   I enjoyed stitching with one color, Juniper by Weeks and how each line changed to such lovely designs.  

You can see more of Beth's beautiful designs here  Her patterns are very easy to follow and a real joy to stitch.   And if you have not heard the song "it must have been the mistletoe" you can listen to it here.  Once I heard it , I hummed it almost the whole time I stitched the sampler. 

                                                                            ♥♥♥

As the month of February ends, we are preparing for lots of new things for the month of March.  Our theme is sewing and we have some neat projects to show you.  We also begin our newest Sal with Meg.  If anyone else would like to join us, just drop us an email for details.  And, we have a special new  surprise feature that should be alot of fun and we think you will enjoy.    Hope you are all doing well and getting alot of stitching in.   We will be by to see what you have been up to.   As always, thank you so much for stopping by.   We really appreciate your visits and your comments.

                                                                Stitching Friends


                           A friend is what the heart needs all the time
                                                           Henry Van Dyke

49 comments:

  1. Oh RJ, what a lovely story and your mistletoe piece captures all its sweetness.....I know it was stitched with love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story and a lovely stitch to remember that special night. How clever you were to come up with the addition to the sides RJ! I would have thought it was part of the design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh RJ, what a beautiful story. Everyone wants such a romantic night. And you have found a suitable pattern that will always remind you. The frame fits perfectly, and the idea with picture and letter is just beautiful.
    I'm already looking forward to your march work.
    Happy weekend you two, Hugs Martina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello RJ,
    what a beautiful memory and story. I have enjoyed it.
    The pattern is wonderful and the frame is perfect.
    Can't wait to see your first photos from your SAL.
    Happy Weekend and a big Hugs, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely love story , and the stitching and frame are perfect .
    What a good looking couple you are , looks like the 60s or 70s.
    We married in the 60s, 52 this week.

    Hope your cold soon gets better hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful story, no wonder you treasure this piece. I am sure it will become a much loved family heirloom too. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mistletoe is beautiful!
    And what a great story to go with it.
    Also a neat idea to put the letter on the back.
    Can't wait to see the new ideas!
    Hope you both are feeling better soon.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet story. I will be seeing Beth today at Nashville Needlework Market (actually I am local to Nashville and have been Beth’s “market assistant” for the past few years). I’m going to show her your blog post. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your stitch of "It Must Have Been the Mistletoe" and the story behind it, RJ! I am glad you included the photo and letter with your framed stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfection in my book and I sincerely hope that one is a keeper in the family. That picture is just precious and the story is too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. RJ, RJ, RJ! I LOVE this love story!!! I love this POST! What a sampler you have created! This is gorgeous. You two are gorgeous. I love that picture. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic story!!! Love the picture! Takes me back to a time when that is what Christmas looked like! Your piece is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my dear dear friend RJ...

    Here I go again crying through one of your beautiful posts! I can’t help it...this sampler, this love story it all so BEAUTIFUL and so full of love!! What an absolutely lovely sampler to stitch and what an absolutely beautiful memory to preserve! I just cannot stop these tears! You know...George gets a whole bunch of credit for proposing that way...very creative and wonderful and totally romantic! Hmmm I think he and Scott were cut from the same cloth...lol!
    I am just so very happy you shared this sampler today! You have again touched my heart with your needlework and left a heartprint on my heart forever! You have also given me the courage to look at two special samplers that I was stitching for Scott. Thank you my friend...sending hugs and love your way! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. Une belle histoire d'amour et une broderie magnifique s'y référant. C'est très romantique et ça nous plaît énormément.
    Amitiés de France,
    Christel
    http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful story. I'm so glad there was a happy ending and you didn't end up in a spooky castle! The sampler is just perfect and it's a great idea to add those side borders to make it the right size for the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like to read your story.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete

  18. RJ: I’m listening to your song by Barbara Mandrell as I type this comment. What a delightful cross stitch you’ve made!!

    Your story is delightful and the photo of you and George with the aluminum tree is very sweet!

    Your dress is pretty. I made one for me that was quite similar, back in the day. After I gave birth to my first child, I decided the dress was never going to fit me again around the midriff, and the zipper up the back was temperamental.

    I passed the dress on to my sister, sending it to her by mail, and warning her about the zipper. When it arrived, she tried it on immediately but when she tried to take it off, that zipper would not cooperate! She had to wait until her husband came home from work so he could unzip it for her. She quipped she thought she was going to spend the rest of her life in that dress!

    Thank you for sharing your precious memory with us. George — what a clever fellow he is!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful story, RJ - thank you for sharing it with us! I love the picture, too ... your dress is lovely with its green ribbon sash (I had a similar pattern that I used and used till it barely held together), and that tree really takes me back.

    Your special version of the Mistletoe piece is a wonderful way to commemorate your special night.

    ReplyDelete
  20. RJ, that was a wonderful and so romantic story! That sampler will always be so special to you both! Plus it is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what a treasure you stitched and such a loving story, he's a sneaky one! I love the picture of you two, it's priceless. I think your addition on the side made it that much better. Thank you for sharing true love!

    ReplyDelete
  22. RJ … what a wonderful, romantic story. Such a gorgeous piece of stitching too. I'm so pleased to hear that you have added the photograph and a letter so that generations to come will know that truly loving story of you and George.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, RJ, such a wonderful story and a beautiful stitch! I never would have guessed that the designs on the sides weren't part of the original design. That is a great idea to make your stitch fit the frame/mat combo. Nice job on the framing!

    Love, love, love the photo of you and George. Brought tears to my eyes. You are such a lovely couple.

    So thrilled to be a part of your SAL. And looking forward to future surprises on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH RJ, you have a lovely story! So wonderful that this piece fits very well with your romantic story! A gorgeous piece, for sure! I do love that frame too.
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful story and a beautiful stitched piece that you made your own.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a sweet way to commorate such a special event! Thank you so much for sharing your special day with us!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a sweet and beautiful story RJ and a beautiful piece stitched for the memory! I think it will be a wonderful family heirloom and something to be cherished!

    Love the picture of you guys from back then.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A lovely finish, and such a romantic story RJ, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ahaha, it's amazing the heat started working again, a dating miracle! It's so sweet that you've a perfect piece to remember the night and that you framed it with the photo. The 60s hair is great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a wonderful story. This design could have been made for you. A great idea to add the border down the side to fit the mount and frame, an idea I will definitely be remembering for the future.
    You and George do look lovely in the photograph.
    love and blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Roberta,
    when embroiderers change the pattern, I think it's great, it's like a handwriting of your own.
    Because of your husband I already asked you in the e-mail before, I hope well.
    Greetings for the fourth time, Jutta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jutta! I put your comment on for you because it did not stay. RJ

      Delete
  32. Just beautiful, the sampler and your engagement- superb memories that I can see from your writing still make you feel special

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely post RJ and terrific piece of embroidery, a piece to be treasured. The frame is just perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, RJ, it was lovely to read your romantic story. Your stitched memory is beautiful!
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, what a delightful post, RJ! I LOVE the old photo of you and your husband--I remember those flipped hairdos and empire waist dresses so well. I think I'm a tiny bit younger than you, but boy, does that bring back memories! Your piece is so very special and I can understand just how important it was to you go get it finished by Christmas. Your addition of the side borders is genius--will have to remember that one :) Loved the romantic story of your engagement--what a special guy you have! Hope your March is off to a good start--looking forward to your next post with Mary!

    (I'm sorry to be so late with my comment--I was in FL visiting my sister and then came down with a nasty cold/flu bug from the plane ride)

    ReplyDelete
  36. RJ: I hope this post comes through, what a sweet photo of you and your Husband, so cute.
    I love the Sampler it is beautiful.
    You chose the perfect frame and matting.
    Thinking of you and Husband.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oooh, what a touching mail. I have tears in my eyes with emotion, but also from the sugar-sweet photo of you two as a couple in front of the silver tree.
    The embroidery is so wonderful and so is the story, too.
    Thank you, dear RJ, for this private report.
    Hug you, Jutta.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my, how did I ever miss such a special post! Thank you for sharing your love story! Your photo is very cute, hair, suit, tree and all! and the Mistletoe Sampler is stunning! A true heirloom! You finished it perfectly! This was a delight to read!

    ReplyDelete
  41. So very nice of you to visit my blog. I really enjoyed this extra special post. Sweet photo of you and George. Your dress reminds me of the dresses my grandma made for me when I was young. Your stitching is perfection. Many, many years ago I loved to cross stitch but no longer can - so I will enjoy yours! Have a great day. Mildred

    ReplyDelete
  42. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Tu historia de amor es maravillosa!! os deseo una eterna felicidad . El bordado es precioso.
    Un fuerte abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh RJ, what a beautiful story. So romantic, just like something out of a movie. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete