Follow us by email

Follow us by email

Friday, May 1, 2020


May/ Spring has Sprung
Styling with Stitches
Sal Update
What's Stitching


I am saddened to report that I am going "solo" on this post.  RJ  has been very sick and is unable to participate.  I  pray that she gets better soon as this will certainly not be the same without my dear stitching buddy. I am sure you have noticed her absence from commenting on  your blogs. I know that she is missing everyone  and hopes to be visiting again with you soon.  Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.  


Mary's Styling with Stitching Project  



Birds chirping at dawn, robins arriving and nest building are some of my favorite harbingers of Spring. So, Brenda Gervais's "Where Hearts Rest" was the ideal choice for my Spring stitch. 

Sometime last year, I saw Deb at Country Stitchers Floss Tube show a stitch on top of a little chest she purchased at Hobby Lobby.  I literally ran out to purchase that same chest. Fortunately, my Hobby Lobby still had them in stock. 

At that time I knew I would use a different pattern and I rifled through my patterns to see if I had a stitch that would work.  I struck gold!!  "Where Hearts Rest"  would fit nicely so I immediately went to work and while stitching the nest I realized I made a major error that entailed lots of frogging.  I put it aside until a few weeks ago.  I spent an entire morning frogging and once I started stitching again I could not put it down!! 

I used all the called for colors with the exception of the border.  Our friend Robin had sent me some Victorian Motto  flosses and I substituted the called for floss for  Victorian Motto Burnt Russet.  I love how there is so much variegation in the VM floss. Thank you Robin, I love the VM floss. 

I painted the chest with Annie Sloan Primer Red.   I laced the stitch onto mat board using Meg's excellent directions that you can find on her blog Live to Stitch. 
  
Cording and a little metal bird finish the project.  

With Thy Needle and Thread
Where Hearts Rest
mystery linen-called for floss with one exception


Mary's Sal Update


Faith's Sal Update
Hands on Designs A Year of Celebrations
If you would like to join us in our SAL just send me a photo of your stitch, up next is May! 


What's Stitching

May is here and Stitch Mania has begun! For those that are unfamiliar,  it was started in May of 2015 where stitchers start a new project each day. There are no hard and fast rules, so you can choose how you are going to participate. I know my limitations so I only kitted up 5 new projects.    Are you going to participate in Stitch Mania??   How many new projects are you going to undertake? 


We hope you are all enjoying Spring as much as you possibly can during these trying times.  Stay safe and as always, we appreciate your visits and taking the time to comment.  

                                                                 Stitching Friends
               


                                          Despite the forecast, live like its Spring.    
                                                                                                    Lily Pulitzer










42 comments:

  1. First, RJ, we miss you and hope you are feeling better soon. Please take care of your self.
    Mary, the box is wonderful! That pattern worked perfectly. What will you put in the drawers?
    I don't do Stitch Maynia but will look forward to seeing what you accomplish! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful stitching, Mary! And I love the box finish. I will be praying for RJ. For Stitchmaynia, I'm starting a project today, the first, and then one each Monday in May. They're all smalls, so I don't feel overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. I am praying for RJ. I am so sorry to hear this.
    Mary Where Hearts Rest is just awesome on that chest Mary. I love this finish so much. Is the gift for your Uncle the priest one of the five projects Mary?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had been worried about RJ...so sorry she is under the weather. I will be praying for health and healing. Your little box/ cabinet is precious and I think it looks just perfect. The April stitch is cute as well. I just put up my May Prairie Schooler. Today I am working on Christmas ornaments. No stitch MAYNIA for me...it would be too much for me. I get anxious when I have too many things going at one time. Ten is about the top number for my rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I will keep RJ in all my prayers! That little chest is just wonderful!! I don't do stitch Maynia. I am pretty much a oaat stitcher so Maynia would drive me crazy. Currently I have4 WIPS. That is a lot for me! Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to seeing your Stitch Maynia pieces and progress, Mary. Your box with the bird/nest stitch is fabulous. Well done! Your April piece is adorable.

    Dear RJ, you have been on my mind and in my prayers. Thinking of you! Sure hope you are feeling more like RJ each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a beautiful motif and now quite suitable for spring. Beautifully processed.
    And your Sal motif is perfect for April.
    I pray for RJ and hope she will be better soon.
    Take care of yourself.
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mary,
    what a great idea to make a stitching on a little chest. A perfect finish.
    Your April stitching motif is beautiful.
    I pray for RJ and hope she will better soon.
    Take care and stay healthy my friend. Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chest is a very pretty finish, love that little cabinet.
    Prayers for RJ.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Miss RJ, I do hope you are feeling better real soon!!!!
    Mary, my goodness you have outdone yourself on that chest. I really have been inspired to maybe do something with one I have here at the house. We will see if I can find the right pattern. Yours turned out so very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. RJ, I really hope that you can recover very soon, a big, big hug!
    Mary I love your box, it's lovely ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary: Our thoughts and prayers are with RJ.
    Your Chest finish is beautiful, what a grand idea, the design is perfect and the charm is lovely.
    You have such a beautiful finish on the April.
    I am a one at a time stitcher, maybe someday i will take the plunge with more then one project.
    Stay Healthy

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful box, such talent and skill at putting it all together. Hugs and prayers for RJ. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. J'espère de tout coeur que RJ se rétablira très vite.
    Merci d'ensoleiller cette journée avec cet adorable broderie à la finition parfaite. J'aime beaucoup.
    En France le confinement se poursuit. Heureusement que nous habitons une maison avec un jardin.. Nous ne pouvons pas voir nos enfants ni notre petite-fille.. Ils nous manquent beaucoup. Mais il faut en passer par là pour endiguer cet horrible virus.. Alors patientons tous, restons tranquilles et suivons bien les consignes qui nous sont données et nous nous en sortirons..
    Amitiés de France,
    Christel
    http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. An adorable little chest.
    Warmest wishes to RJ for a speedy recovery x
    Take care yourself Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry to read of RJ's illness and will most certainly be praying for her full recovery! Thank you for letting us know!

    All your stitching is perfect. I love the umbrella in the April piece.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish RJ a speedy recovery , she is so missed.
    Thank you Mary for the lovely post.
    Love your stitching box and the design is just beautiful .
    I have fell in love with it . Keep safe and enjoy a lovely Sunday Hugs and xxxs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mary, I hope RJ get well soon and return quickly to your blog!
    I love the chest, it´s very sweet!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sorry to hear about RJ. I will send her an e-card now.
    The box looks wonderful and the design you chose is perfect for the top.
    Nice work on the months too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Mary and RJ! Oh, I’ve been worried because I haven’t heard from RJ in so long. I was hoping she was just busy. I need to drop her a line. I hope she is feeling better soon.

    The nest stitch and cabinet are wonderful! Beautiful colors in the flosses and paint. Nice work on the SAL! Looks like a fun, quick series to stitch.

    First time doing Stitch Maynia this year. Have wanted to try but never had the time or energy. Went thru my to-be-stitched stack of patterns and picked my faves. Have been choosing and cutting fabric for each one. I don’t have many of the called-for flosses so I may need to order some. I’m not totally kitting everything up yet, just cutting fabric. (For me, choosing fabric is the hardest part.) I picked out 27 patterns to stitch! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sorry to hear that RJ is still under the weather. I hope that she will be on the mend soon and join us again.

    Love the little chest you made, it looks great! Also you did great on your first solo post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wishing RJ a speedy recovery and look forward to when she can post with you again.
    Love your little chest finish....it's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely to see your stitching Mary, prayers and well wishes to RJ I do hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope RJ is getting better each day. I love to see the stitching each time you both post. Gives me inspiration to stitch. Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mary, sono bellissimi i ricami! Un grande abbraccio a RJ che aspettiamo presto

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mary,
    all the best for your friend RJ, I hope she is getting better from day to day!
    Your box looks wonderful and the design you chose is perfect for the top. You have chosen beautiful colors, the box looks perfect, a piece of jewelry!!!!
    Your April motiv is beautiful, too.
    Hugs and kisses, Jutta
    Nice work on the months too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love, love, love the box with the piece on the top. So pretty. I always love your stitching, but this one with or without the box is so sweet. Would love to do it up for myself! I'll be keeping RJ in my prayers indeed. You stay safe and well Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sorry to read that RJ is under the weather, hope she will be well soon and you will be enjoying each other's company in no time.
    Your stitching is lovely Mary, really great.
    Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  30. I hope RJ feels better very soon. I love the box, and the stitching on top of it is gorgeous. Good luck with May Mania! x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very beautiful stitching and finishing, Mary!

    I really hope that RJ feels better very soon!

    Big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your box finish is impressive. I hope that RJ is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sending RJ hugs. Hope she feels better soon.

    Mary .. lovely stitching and finishing of your box. I like watching other people do Maynia, not me though.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm just a little behind in my reading, so I hope by now RJ is feeling better!
    Wow Mary, your chest looks fantastic! What a beautifully stitched piece, and the red colour looks great with it.
    Your April SAL is lovely, it did bring May flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete