Follow us by email

Follow us by email

Thursday, April 11, 2019




April Post One
Styling with Stitches
Friends who Stitch
Sal Update

Happy Spring everyone!   Have you been wondering where those two derelict stitching friends have been?   Well we both had some very unwanted visitors named sinus, stomach virus, allergies and the flu that never seems to go away. It's like the Ever-ready Bunny - it keeps going and going!  We spent more time in bed than on our feet!  And, as a result our March projects did not get done.  We are happy to have an April post to show you today. We thought Spring wreaths would be a good way to get us started for our "Styling with Stitches" project.

Last year we bought the seasonal "Hello" series by Plum Street Sampler and also the seasonal "Basketful" series by With thy Needle and Thread.   Mary will be using "Hello's" for her wreaths and I'll be making mine with the "Basketful's. Then we will switch patterns later in the year for another project. That way we both will get to stitch all eight of these really cute designs. 
                                                                             
                                                                       ⚜⚜⚜

RJ's Wreath

"Basketful of Spring" was really a delight to stitch.   I loved the design and chosen floss colors.   The bunny is adorable and I love how he pulls his wagon of chicks. That double row of green is a specialty stitch called Algerian Eyelet.  It was done in Baby Spinach which is my favorite green.  It is such a sweet stitch and really easy to do.  I didn't want to stop making that row.

Making a flat finish was challenging for me. I just don't like working with glue. But after many, many hours it got completed.   I would not win a bow making contest either...so I just made two bows and put them together and added a pretty Mother of Pearl button in the center.   The wreath was easy because it was a premade.   Joann's was having a big sale and the wreaths were 60% off.   I could not buy the grapevine wreath and all the pretty flowers for only $14.99 (sale price) and I didn't have to put it together.   Win - win!!!
Wreath is hanging off an old antique shutter I found for $3 at the beach


Closeup of bow with Mother of Pearl button


You really have to get close to see the word Spring as it is very subtle

Basketful of Spring
by With thy Needle and Thread
36 ct. Summer Khaki linen
Called for floss
Wreath and ribbon from Joann's



⚜⚜⚜


Mary's wreath


The first Spring flowers that bloom in my area are daffodils and hyacinths, so I changed the color palette of "Hello Spring" to my favorite Spring colors of yellow and purple.  The only called for color I used was Weeping Willow for the green swirls. 

I did not have RJ's luck in finding a pretty, pre-made wreath but fortunately I have a talented friend who is always willing to help me out with all my projects.  Armed with an assortment of Spring flowers, ribbon and wreath I left the decorating to Cheryl.   I am so happy with how the wreath turned out, I think it sets off Paulette's design so nicely.  My friend, Cheryl was happy too as I gifted her the wreath and stitch.  

I also finished the stitch as a flat fold and copied the pom pom trim as it was shown on the pattern.  I am so pleased with how it came out that I will have to stitch this again for myself! 

Gracing Cheryl's door

I used Whisper thread for the tail

Hello Spring
by Plum Street Sampler
36 ct. Zweigert Antique linen
Assorted threads
                               

                                                           ⚜⚜⚜



Friends who Stitch

We have some lovely followers that don't have a blog.  They are active stitchers and we thought it would be neat to show some of their stitches here at Stitching Friends.  So once a month we will show you a stitch from stitchers without a blog.   Just send me rjgator96@gmail.com a photo and the name of the stitch, designer and any thing you would like to add and we would be so happy to share one of your stitches here.   It can be just stitched or totally finished.

This month we are so happy to feature Robin and Marilyn with two of their fabulous stitches

Robin's stitch was a gift for a friend who is a stitcher, but also a quilter and sewist.  We have this pattern and can't wait to stitch it after seeing Robin's beautiful finish. 
Sew Happy
by All Through the Night
32 ct. fawn linen
Gentle Arts Sampler threads
Framed by Total Framing


Marilyn's stitch is such an adorable bunny with a cute finish.


A Spring Day
by Heart in Hand


Thank you so much Robin and Marilyn for joining in.   Hope to see you next month.  I know everyone will enjoy seeing more of your lovely stitching.


                                                                      ⚜⚜⚜                 
   

                                                       
Sal Update

We have chosen the series Summer Schoolhouse for our newest SAL.    This is a fun group of patterns to stitch but it will take us quite a bit of time.   We are stitching these charming patterns on 28 ct. Mushroom Lugana fabric over one and we are using all the called for floss.

Meg has joined us and we are thrilled to have her.  You can visit Meg here .

Meg's Sal
This is after 23 hours

RJ's SAL
This is after 20 hours.   I will catch up with our leader Meg this weekend.


                                                                          ⚜⚜⚜



Thank you so much for stopping by to see us.  We are so happy to be back and starting our third year of blogging. Where does time go?   More bunny projects are coming this month so we hope you will stop back in about ten days.   We are catching up with all of your posts that we missed but you can be sure we will be there.  Hope you are having nice Spring days as the weather begins to change. Happy stitching!!!

                                                      Stitching Friends  


                                       April is a Promise of what’s to come. 

                                                        Glady’s Taber

36 comments:

  1. Basketful Spring did a great job, very nice finish, the wreath fits perfectly. But Hello Spring and the great wreath are a pretty picture on a door.
    How nice that you could start the SAL, and I am glad that Meg is there.
    Have a nice weekend, Hugs Martina

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great to have you lovely friends back with us again.
    Hoping you are both now feeling well , I know that flu stops you in your tracks took me 6 weeks to get better .
    Well what a treat to see the lovely Spring wreaths lovely designs ,I do love bunnies .
    Your SALS are looking so beautiful .
    Marilyn's stitching is just wonderful too.
    Enjoy your weekend and keep away from those bugs , hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to hear from you.
    Both wreath are wonderful. Beautiful spring and easter stitching.
    I like your SAL very much and your starts looking good.
    Enjoy the weekend and a Big Hugs to both, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of your wreaths are so pretty.
    Thanks for featuring my stitched Bunny piece.
    I do hope both of you are feeling better soon.
    Not sure Spring will ever come here, it snowed the night before, and is sticking because it is cold again. :(
    Have a great weekend!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got sidetracked by the quote at the end. Doesn't Gladys Taber just make you look at April in a whole new light. OK ---to the delights on the eyes!!!
    RJ- that wreath on the shutter with the stitch is so cute. You were lucky to find the wreath. They always end up costing a good bit trying to make one on your own. Flat folds give me trouble. I need to watch some more tutorials as well. Love it!!!
    Mary - aren't those hello patterns just the cutest. I love the yellow and purple color change. It was perfect with your wreath. Just adorable!!!
    Robin- I love your stitch. That pattern is so cute and that is just perfect for a person who loves to sew and stitch. Just perfect.
    Marilyn- I just love your bunny. Cute finish too!
    I love that you guys can do that one over one and make it look like that. I dearly love that pattern series, but it was just plain stressing me so I put it aside for awhile. Maybe someday again.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I love, love, love BOTH of your wreaths! And Mary, what a generous gift that is! How happy it made me to see Robin and Marilyn's stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, RJ and Mary! So glad you're both feeling better. I was worried about you.

    Your wreaths are beautiful! I love the "Hello" series by PSS and have them on my wish list. RJ, I think your bow turned out great! I have the same dread when it comes to making bows. I have repeatedly commented on Priscilla & Chelsea's videos asking for a tutorial or tip on making their "perfectly unperfect," shabby chic bows, but they have not answered (so I gave up and stopped asking). RJ, if you ever want help learning how to mount using the lacing method, or if you want me to lace something for you, I'm here. Glue can be scary!

    So neat to see the finishes from our non-blogging friends! What a cool idea! I'm looking forward to future posts as well.

    Oh, the SAL is so much fun. Can't wait to see Mary's. We are spending the weekend out of town with friends so it will probably be Sunday before I get back to it. RJ, your progress is .... wow! You said you're behind.... oh, girl, you are not! Great work! And I love how you staged your photo.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary: Your wreath is lovely, I am a sucker for wreathe, on Pinterest I had about 200 photos of wreaths.
    Hello Spring is a beautiful design.
    I am so happy your sneezing and all the things that come with winter/spring colds is gone.
    So happy to see you back.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rj: Such a sweet design, I can read the Spring wording, this is an adorable design.
    Which design is the SAL you are doing? just curious.
    Thank-you for the link.
    Marilyn and Robins design are so sweet, thank-you for sharing with us.
    So happy you are feeling better.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love your wreaths....I have thought of finishing something like that and you have inspired me!! Hope you gals are feeling better....maybe summertime will bring better health!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to see you both back in blogland! I hope you both are feeling better each and every day. RJ, your wreath looks great. I say it definitely was a win win. Mary, your wreath looks great as well. Cheryl did a fabulous job creating the wreath and what a lovely way to thank her. I love Marilyn's bunny stitch. Thank you for featuring my sewing stitch! RJ, you and Meg are off to super starts on the SAL stitch. Look forward to seeing Mary's progress soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Que de merveilleux ouvrages qui sentent bon le printemps. Les couronnes sont magnifiques et c'est une très belle idée d'y avoir intégré une broderie. Bravo à toutes les deux. Votre SAL est très prometteur.
    C'est très gentil de partager les ouvrages d'amies n'ayant pas de blog. Marylin et Robbin vos broderies sont très belles.
    Amitiés de France,
    Christel
    http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful stitching, every single project! I need to do some bunnies before it's time to start patriotic stitching!

    I missed you girls, by the way, and had wondered if all was well. So glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both wreaths are so lovely....and springy!!! I'm sure Cheryl is tickled to receive yours , Mary! Robin and Marilyn...both your projects are so sweet--what a great idea!!! Glad you're back and hope you stay healthy!!!
    An early Happy Easter to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those wreaths are just beautiful!!I am like RJ, I would need to find a pretty premade wreath. Mary yours is lovely so nice of you to give it to your talented friend. I do love the choice of colors. Mary, I did the WTN&T design for summer. I think I better get busy and do the other seasons! I hope you are both going to stay healthy!!I missed your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your spring wreaths! They are SO pretty and well done! Good luck with your SAL, I really love that design myself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous finishing, I especially like the colour changes to yellow and purple. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a full post...full of beauty. The wreaths are fantastic. I like the idea of showing off for those without a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You both have been through the wringer with your illnesses! Having been sick most of March, too, I can feel your pain, but I think you were even sicker than I was! Sure hope this warmer weather and sunshine will drive away those nasty germs.

    Your wreaths are so beautiful and how kind of you to gift yours to Cheryl, Mary--what a treat for her! Love the colors in both and the pretty purple bows :) I am not a bow maker either (except for teeny ones!) so I feel your pain, RJ :)

    Enjoy your weekends and I look forward to your bunny post! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you both are feeling much better now! Welcome back!
    Both of your wreaths are very beautiful, lovely idea for a finish! I have a question... how did you both attach the stitched piece to the wreath?
    Marilyn's bunny ornament is so darling!
    Lovely progress on the SAL!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your spring wreaths are beautiful! So sorry to hear you both were hit with the yuck that seems to have been going around and around. I also very much LOVE your idea of sharing works of stitchers who do not have blogs! Robin and Marilyn are beautiful stitchers!

    ReplyDelete

  22. Dear Mary, dear RJ,
    and you have both been sick, I wish you to be completely healthy again and continue your blog with a lot of new energy.
    I like everything you show us today, the beautiful wreaths, the finished and unfinished embroideries, everything has its very special charm.
    Have a nice Sunday for both of you, best regards, Jutta

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hopefully your one sickness of the year is done with now! There is an awful lot of yuck going around lately! Both your wreaths look delightfully spring-y. My bow-making skills usually involve something premade ahaha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pretty wreaths stitched and finished so beautifully.
    Your friend must have been delighted with her special gift Mary.
    Well done to Robin and Marilyn on their lovely projects.
    Sending good health wishes to you both x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pleased to learn that both you girls are feeling better and have been able to show us some lovely stitching enhanced by the pretty wreaths, such a good idea to welcome Spring with such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  26. As always you share some beautiful stitching, thank you. I'm so glad you are back and hopefully germ free.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful stitching ladies! Love the wreaths, especially Mary's as I have a thing for bunnies ;) Hope you get to stitch one for yourself Mary! Great school houses.

    Can't wait to see your bunnies next week!!

    Now you two listen up... NO more getting sick. It is officially spring and that means you both should be enjoying the (I hope) beautiful weather!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, la corona è stupenda e io adoro Plum Street Sampler! Che bella idea mostrare i lavori di chi non ha un blog. Buona Pasqua!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such beautiful stitching and finishing from you both.

    Beautiful pieces from Robin and Marilyn.

    Hope you are both feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Both of your wreaths are so, so pretty. Wonderful finishing ladies.
    Love the finishes from Robin and Marilyn too.
    Hope you two are feeling much better now.
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Glad to hear that you are both well enough to blog again!
    Lovely wreaths from the pair of you.
    Nice to meet some non-bloggers too. I have a very good step-to-step guide to starting a blog if they want to join in...

    ReplyDelete
  32. The "hello spring" wreath is so pretty. In fact, all the projects are!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice Projects. I love "a spring day" with the lovely rabbit.
    Waving greetings Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Mary and RJ, Such lovely finishes. You make me miss this hobby. How thoughtful to share Robin and Marilyn's sweet pieces. I'm so sorry you both have been under the weather. I pray that Spring/Summer will bring you joy and good health.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm so sorry that you two have had it so rough, but thanks for not passing it along to the rest of us!
    Both of your spring wreaths have been finished beautifully! How sweet of you, Mary, to gift it to Cheryl. Quick, make another one!
    Both lovely finishes for Robin and Marilyn, thanks for sharing their beautiful stitching.
    What a fun SAL you're doing with Meg, I'm looking forward to seeing them all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I hope you are both feeling much better by now!
    I love your flat finish! I’m thinking of trying that with my last year’s Easter stitch which I still haven’t fully finished.
    It’s such a nice idea to feature work for friends who don’t have blogs (maybe they might even start their own as Jo can show them how?)
    Love your SAL!
    Hugs, Barbara xx (Catching up on visiting)

    ReplyDelete