Follow us by email

Follow us by email

Tuesday, April 23, 2019


April Post Two
RJ's Grab bag/Jutta's bunnies
SAL update/Schoolhouse series
Update on the French village

We hope you had a joyful Easter with family and friends.   Good Friday brought a big storm to Gainesville and we lost power for two days.   But, it came back just in time to put the ham in the oven and prepare our Easter dinner.  Mary celebrated the day with her family and lots of good food too.

This month's theme is bunnies and I have a special bunny project to share.  Last year, Jutta was giving away adorable pieced bunnies on her blog. Have you ever seen something that you immediately fall in love with?  That happened to me.   I didn't think I would win so I was thinking could I teach myself to make something like that. But, I actually won!!!

I can remember the day my package arrived.  My husband walked in carrying a package and said "RJ, you got a package from Germany".  I was so excited that I couldn't open the package quick enough.  It was even prettier in real life. Jutta's work is so beautiful and perfectly done.

Jutta's lovely pieced bunnies

My first instinct was to make a wall hanging but I have such limited wall space in my house.  And, I wanted it somewhere that everyone would see it.   I was sitting in a chair in my family room one day staring at the sofa and there it was a whopping big brown check pillow on the sofa.   I thought why not a "Stitching Friends" pinafore.   So off I went to the store to pick up some fabrics.   I found a nice brown fabric with circles, a pretty paisley and some really nice quilters cotton batting.
Paisley and circle fabrics

I added the brown printed fabric to the top and bottom and then added large pieces of paisley to each side.   Next came some quilters batting.  Then the back was made out of the brown circle fabric and finally linedRibbon ties were added with buttons to the sides. I could not find the brown ribbon I bought so I used some white ribbon for the time being but will change it.
Bunny pinafore

But the fun part was adding the whiskers, the yo yo pin to the girl and the bow tie to the boy.  Putting the buttons on broke two needles because of the thickness of the fabrics but finally it worked!
Closeup of the boy bunny and his bow tie

Closeup of the girl bunny and the yo yo pin

Closeup of the sweet couple "Hanna and Francis"

Pieced bunnies from Jutta
Fabrics from Joanne's

                                                                     
A lot of patterns name their bunnies so I thought I would do that too.   I named them Hanna and Francis after my German grandparents.   I smile every time  I look at them and think of my sweet Oma and Opa and my sweet friend Jutta in Germany.

                                                          ⚘⚘⚘


SAL Update

We are all merrily moving along on our Sal "Summer Schoolhouse".  The floss colors are so pretty and they have been a lot of fun to stitch.  You can find our good friend Meg's blog here where she has more info.

Meg's SAL after 31 hours:


Mary's SAL after 18 hours:


RJ's SAL after 31 hours:


                                                              ⚘⚘⚘


RJ's French Holiday Village update

Here are my last two French Christmas Village stitches.   Next month, I will start to finish them.  After making the Poinsettia Hotel, I thought my village needs a B&B too.  So I pulled out another old pattern called "Holiday House" by LHN.  The only changes were to add a sign called LaCour  which means the Courtyard.  I also added a hanging sign that says B&B.  And, I changed the topiaries to one ball so there was room for the hanging sign.  I had to make a few adjustments to the windows but all and all this one was easy.


One day I received an email from our good friend Robin asking if I could use the Gazebo by CCN for my holiday village.   The Gazebo is a summer stitch but I thought I could winterize it and said I would love it.   I changed the grass to snow, the sun and sky to snowflakes, and the potted summer flowers to urns of topiaries with little red lights Then I added a sign that reads Noel for Christmas and a cute little wreath.   The pretty bluebird was replaced with a red cardinal.  
The original pattern
The gazebo after holiday changes





                                                             ⚘⚘⚘



We want to thank you all for stopping by and visiting with us.  Your comments are much appreciated.  Special thanks to Jutta for the pretty bunnies I used for my grab bag today. We will be back in about ten days with our third April post.  It is our Stitchers Choice post which should be fun.  Looking forward to seeing what you all have been stitching and sewing.  Hope you are enjoying beautiful Spring days. 



                          “Spring is Nature’s way of saying ‘Let’s Party.”
                                                    Robin Williams




40 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, I love those bunnies. You finished them perfectly. Each house is wonderful, a lovely village in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all those little houses! Bunnies are cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bunnies , what a fab pillow they make ,Jutta is such a sweet friend to send them .
    Love everyone's SAL looking wonderful.
    Have a good week all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Il cuscino è bellissimo! Adoro i congili e che belli i ricami!

    ReplyDelete
  5. RJ, the rabbit pillow has become super beautiful. Great as you have processed the work of Jutta. Even decorated you still have the two bunnies. Fantastically beautiful.
    Great progress in your SAL's.
    And how beautiful the French village grows. Really great.
    Hugs to you, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb stitching from you both, I live your bunnies, so cute

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little bunnie are very cute. They are perfect for a pillow. Your decoration on the bunnies are wonderful.
    Great progress on your SALs.
    The next house is beautiful and I like your change on the Gazebo very much.
    Big Hugs to both of you, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Bunnies are adorable!
    What great finish.
    The SAL is coming along nicely.
    I love how you change designs & make them your own.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post and pretty projects. The bunnies are adorable and I love the finished project. I appreciate you stopping by my blog. We did have a nice Easter; the weather has been perfect. I wish you both a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those bunnies are adorable. That was a great idea for them RJ. I am inspired myself! And that village is going to be so cute. The gazebo was a nice change for it. I am impressed with all three of you on the schoolhouse series. I have tucked it back and one day will go back to it. RJ, I am glad you got your power back. This spring has had some odd weather. It was definitely the coolest Easter I can ever remember. I liked it, but it was odd for this late in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh RJ, I love your bunnies from Jutta and you created a fabulous pinafore for them. What a treasure! Your French village pieces look super. I love the winter "version" of the gazebo. Each of you have made good progress on your SAL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my RJ, the bunny pillow is precious and a true "hands across the sea" joint project! I love all the changes to your village and the thought you put into them. All the SAL's look wonderful; I enjoyed working on that set and need to get my butt in gear and finish them all--hopefully seeing all of your progress will motivate me!!!
    That was bad timing for your power loss but glad it came back on in time to celebrate Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your beautiful stitching but those bunnies....oh my goodness. I want them!!:) The yoyo pin is just what was needed for Mrs B. Today I am working on Scissors by Shakespeare's Peddler. I am using Cupid, my favorite variegated red for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness!! Hanna and Francis!!! LOVE them!! So very, very precious! Love how finished them RJ! The gazebos are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dear RJ,
    finally finally I can admire the bunnies ready, great, great and great again! The pillow you have very well succeeded, the moustache hair and the necklace also, I am happy with you that you have found a use for my bunnies sewn on paper. And how nice you have reported about this action ;-) The names go perfectly with the two ones.
    Mary and RJ, I also like your SAL progress photos very much, and converting the pavilion into a winter embroidery is a really good idea.
    Thank you for this funny, heartfelt post, many love greetings to both of you, your friend Jutta

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those bunnies are the cutest thing ever, what a lovely gift

    ReplyDelete
  17. Les lapins de Jutta sont magnifiquement mis en valeur grâce à ta finition. Ce coussin est splendide.
    J'adore également l'ouvrage en cours et le petit kiosque qu'illumine ce joli cardinal.
    Amitiés de France,
    Christel
    http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bunnies are adorable, what a sweet gift from Jutta. Love the way you adapted her work to make a pillow pinafore. Beautiful stitching too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, those bunnies are so cute and I love the way you used them, what a clever idea. Your sew along projects are looking so pretty. I love the colors. The gazebo is wonderful. You are a very clever stitcher!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The paper-pieced bunnies are great. I have trouble with paper piecing, so really appreciate the work of those who can get it right!

    Loved all the stitchery here, as always. I've not had time to do many bunnies this year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary: Your House is adorable.
    I am loving the scissors, can you share the name of the scissors with us please, I am loving them.
    Have a great week.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  22. RJ: The pillow is so sweet, the colors you chose for the sides is perfect, I do like the white ribbons.
    The house you are doing is lovely.
    I am in love with the Gazebo, so sweet.
    Have a great week.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh what a lovely pillow you have made with Jutta´s wonderful pattern and your extra touches, beautiful addition to your stitched pinafores. The embroidery SAL summer schoolhouse is looking very pretty, both yours and Mary´s

    ReplyDelete
  24. RJ, your bunny pinafore is darling! Your finishing skills are impeccable. Sorry about the broken needles - that is really frustrating. The worst is when I push too hard on a needle and the thimble slips off and the needle impales my finger. I've had that happen one time too many. I hope you're not nearly as clumsy as me.

    I think you shared the gazebo stitch with me in an email earlier. It is so lovely, and your alterations are stunning. You inspire me!

    Mary - your SAL progress is awesome! Sometimes I dread the over-one stitching, but once I get into it, it's OK. The patterns are so darn cute, aren't they? I'm looking forward to having them all done and fully finished. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This bunny piecework is outstanding! The bunnies are adorable and your finish, and finishing touches are so perfect. I love everything about it, RJ! Both your schoolhouses are coming along nicely! I too just started an over one piece...it's little but oh my eyes! :) Keep at it, it will be lovely! PS I like your winter gazebo too...what a clever adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my! Love your transformation this month! The bunny pillow is beyond cute and the winter gazebo is fantastic! Knocking it out of the park ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love what you did with the gazebo, the transformation is amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  28. RJ … the bunnies are adorable. You have made a wonderful pillow. The chart conversion for your French village is lovely, you would never think it was essentially the same design.
    Both of your Schoolhouse series SAL pieces are beautiful.
    Hope both of you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the pillow cover you made with the bunnies, an ideal way to use a gift.
    The converted gazebo is the perfect addition to your village along with the B&B (B et B?)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the bunnies and how you finished them! Is the pattern available somewhere? Does she share where she got it? I had trouble seeing it on her blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awe, I love your bunnies, RJ! Even better that you named them after your Oma and Opa.
    You three all must have burning needles with your SAL progress! I like how you're all doing them at various stages.
    RJ, your village pieces look great, the gazebo looks lovely set in snow.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The bunnies are adorable, RJ!! You and Jutta used your talents to create such a fun, unique finish... love the little extras you added to Mr. and Mrs. Bunny, too :) And your village additions are wonderful--I especially love the gazebo as I grew up with a gazebo in the park at the end of my street and have always had a soft spot for them.

    Wonderful progress on your SAL with Mary and Meg--I'm sure it helps having two others to keep each of you stitching along!

    Wishing you both a wonderful month of May! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jutta did a great job with those bunnies and you did a fabulous job finishing them! Love their embellishments, they make them look all grown up. Robin's gazebo looks like it made a perfect addition to your growing village.

    The SALs are looking great. Missed reading about Mary's endeavors this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  34. How sweet finish with the bunnies, they are amazing!!
    Wonderful progress on the stitch a long, it is a gorgeous piece!!
    I love your Noel gazebo!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolutely love your finish for Jutta’s bunnies! It gorgeous!
    Lovely progress on the SALs.
    Love the changes on the gazebo too!
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dear RJ,
    I love the bunnies and the finihed pillow is so gorgeous. You show us lovely photos of your stitching progress.
    Waving greetings Lari

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am.happy to.find this blog .loved everything here

    ReplyDelete
  40. Te ha quedado un cojín muy bonito!! con las aplicaciones de conejos y los bordados son maravillos.
    Besos

    ReplyDelete