Follow us by email

Follow us by email

Saturday, May 4, 2019

April Post Three
Stitchers Choice
SAL Update
Freebie


Happy Spring everyone!   It may be May to the rest of the world, but "stitching friends" thinks it is still April.   So, today we are doing the April Stitcher's Choice post.  We try hard to do three posts a month (styling with stitches, grab bag and stitcher's choice.)   But, with a power shortage and a 30 day month, we are late.  Better late than never right?

                                                                      ⚘⚘⚘


RJ's Stitcher's Choice

I'm planning a Spring tree for the near future so I thought I would make some ornaments for it. I have three to share with you today and they will be added to five I've shown before.  Hopefully by next year I'll have a good dozen or so.  


Three new stitches sitting in the garden house


The ornament on the left is a pretty garden stitch that I found on Etsy.  Because of the plaid linen I didn't use any fabric with it.  I just added a navy print bow and a tiny watering can charm.  I added the French word jardin to the bottom.   

Watering Little Sampler
by Primitive Acorns
found on Etsy
overdyed floss from stash
plaid 28 ct. linen


The middle ornament is one of the sweetest patterns that Mary gifted me.  I love the lavender colors and the cute little lamb.  On this one, I added three coordinating fabrics patchwork style and then put a row of X stitches between the fabric and the cross stitch. A lavender polka dot bow sits on top and a dragonfly charm is above the lamb's head.  This pattern comes free if you buy the called for floss.


Welcome Spring
by Little House Needleworks
40 ct. flax linen
floss comes with free stitch


And, the ornament to the right was also an Etsy pattern.  I stitched this one awhile ago and it was my first attempt at the herringbone stitch.   After I took the photo, I noticed that one of the stitches is loose so I'll fix that.  I used navy dot and print fabrics and some lace.  At the top I replaced the planned stitched section with a bow and garden tools. 


The Rabbit and the Elderberry
by Primitive Acorns
found on Etsy
40 ct. flax linen
over dyed floss from my stash

                                                                        ⚘⚘⚘



Mary's Stitcher's Choice




I purchased this standing chalkboard frame at Michael's with the intent of finding a stitch that would fit.  I lucked out and found an entire series!!!

This was my first finish using Priscilla's method of using magnets and washers to attach a stitch to the frame.  This works out ideally for a series that will be changed out seasonally or even monthly.

I used matboard for the base layer and sticky board for the stitch. Both had a layer of felt cut to size under the fabrics. I glued 2 magnets on the chalkboard. Now, how to match up the washers???  So, I put a little craft  paint on the magnets and placed the backside of the stitch down on the magnets which marked where I should put my washers.


After the stitch was on, I felt it needed a little something extra so I glued on cording in coordinating colors.  


If you happen to be unfamiliar with Priscilla, she has a facebook page Stitching with the Housewives, youtube videos Priscilla and Chelsea-The Real Housewives of Cross Stitch and her blog

Welcomes 'A Plenty
V Series Summertime Home
32 ct. Zweigart Belfast linen
Parisian Taupe

called for floss

                                                                           ⚘⚘⚘



SAL Update

We are all loving our newest SAL called Summer Schoolhouse by With Thy Needle and Thread.   It consists of five projects and will cover the whole alphabet.   They are stitched on 28 ct. mushroom lugana fabric one over one. The stitches are very petite but so pretty. All of the colors are soft and working well.  


Meg's progress
Here is Megs' after 39 hours.   You can visit Meg here and see more of her SAL and her lovely blog    

Mary's progress   25 hours in. 

RJ's progress
My first stitch is done!   It took 39 hours and 15 minutes.  Now on to the second project in the series.   
                                                   


                                                                         ⚘⚘⚘


Freebie
Isn't she lovely and perfect for Spring?   You can find the free pattern here


                                                                            ⚘⚘⚘

As May begins, we are preparing for lots of neat things for the month. Our theme is usually garden related but we changed it this year to sewing projects. The next post will be a double one with styling with stitches sewing projects and then our grab bag will include tutorials.  So we would love for you to come back to see us. Hope you are all doing well and getting a lot of stitching in. We will be by to see what you have been up to. As always, thank you so very much for stopping by. We really appreciate your visits and comments.

                                                           Stitching Friends   



                                                         

40 comments:

  1. Happy Weekend RJ & Mary! RJ, your spring tree ornaments are lovely. I once lived in a community named "Rabbit Town" so of course, I love the rabbit! Mary, the chalkboard worked great for your "Welcome" project. How fun to be able to change out the welcome with the seasons. I wish you both a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your projects are wonderful. The pillows and the welcome sign are beautifully stitched and finished.
    Hope both of you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty finishes.
    The SAL looks like it's coming along nicely too
    Have a great weekend!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! RJ, those little garden pillows are all perfect. So inspiring.
    Mary, I can't wait to see the series. I sincerely love it. Just right with the cording!!!
    I will say y'all are inspiring me to try the one over one. I may have an eye come out of its socket, but at some point I will return to that set. I need a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh RJ your three little pillows are darling. What lovely new patterns! Mary what a nice standing challkboard frame you now have. Love the piece you finished for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a super post to find this morning! RJ, your 3 ornaments look fabulous. Your tree is going to look incredible. Mary, your Welcome stitch is lovely. I really like how you finished it off. Good tip on matching up the magnets to the washers! Great progress on your SAL stitches! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stitching by all and a lovely blog read :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful stitching by both of you. I love that frame idea. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post again ,with lots of lovely Spring stitching. Mary love the Magnet board with your stitching looks fab, RJ those three little pillows are wonderful love the sheep one I do love the purple colour's
    And your SALs are fantastic .
    Have a lovely week both , hugs .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely new set of pillows for your garden house, they are all so pretty, RJ!
    I really love the idea of that standing chalkboard frame, very pretty!
    Great progress on the stitch-a-long, I love the blue birds!!
    Happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. De belles réalisations printanières, pleines de douces couleurs et de finesse. Ces 3 petits coussins sont vraiment magnifiques.
    Vous avancez bien toutes les deux sur votre SAL. C'est une série ravissante.
    Amitiés de France,
    Christel
    http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful finishes. I miss your videos🌻

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are both doing such a great job. I always get good finishing ideas from your work! I love the patchwork idea as I have lots of fabric in my craft room.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary: Your stand=up is beautiful, what a great idea to use magnets and washers for the back, I am going to try this method.
    I love Sunflower Diaries, her designs are so sweet.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. RJ: I am loving your ornaments, the finishing touch's are perfect.
    I love seeing the progress on the SAL>

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice the little kisselchen. I love each one of them. Such great finishes.
    Also, Mary's great idea with the magnets, I think great. So you can always exchange new motives.
    Great progress on your SAL, I'm glad that you have such fun.
    Best wishes to you both, Hugs Martina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all of these - the little ornaments are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. RJ and Mary, wow! RJ, lovely idea for a spring tree, and you are well on your way. Do you do the stitching on your pillows before you sew and assemble them? (I am sewing-challenged...) I love your finishes.

    Mary, what a sweet “Welcome” finish! And a genius idea for marking the placement of the washers. Isn’t it satisfying when you find a display or frame that fits perfectly? Especially for a series!

    RJ! You’re a fast stitcher! I worked ahead a bit yesterday, putting in some extra time to finally finish part one as well. Going to take a couple days off and then begin part two. Mary, yours is coming along beautifully! You’ll be done in no time. Don’t know if you’ve gotten to the vines on the left yet, but they are so, soooo pretty in person.

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. che cuscini meravigliosi! Pensa che qui nevica, la primavera tarda :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ladies....another fabulous post!!! RJ, your spring pieces are precious and will be perfect additions to your 'spring' tree. Your finishing is always spot on....do you have a huge stash of ribbon, charms and fabric on hand, or buy for each piece as needed? love your little "stitch" in the frog.
    Mary, your easel display worked out great! Thanks for idea for magnet/washer placement. I love monthly series and that is a great idea! I am familiar with Priscilla and Chelsea but find their style too "busy"; I love your sharp/clean lines!
    The SAL's all look great and am enjoying your progress. Thanks for another great and informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Mary and RJ,
    the three little pillows are wonderful. I love them all. The little "Welcome" is beautiful. A great finsih.
    Gret progress on your SALs.
    Big Hugs to you both, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  22. RJ....love your darling spring stitches and especially the ways you finish!

    Mary....what a perfect stand for that series! It's great not to have to create a new finish for each one.

    I had every intention of starting the SAL with you two, but got side-tracked. Oh well...Will push to the future!

    My best to both of you....
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. RJ I just LOVE your spring ornaments! I don't know which one I love the best!

    Mary that is just perfect for displaying monthly or seasonal pieces and I may just have to steal that idea for those pieces we were just talking about! Thanks for the idea.

    The SAL pieces look wonderful ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry to be so late with my comments--traveling this month has put me way behind :)

    Your spring finishes are delightful, RJ--wonderful fabrics, ribbons, and charms that you chose to finish them off. I've stitched the sheep one myself, but gave it away as a gift. It really is darling... And that plaid fabric on the watering can is so nice--I've never stitched on plaid, but it sure looks perfect in your finish.

    And Mary--what a pretty welcome finish! I appreciate the magnet tip--I've never used magnets for a finish, but can see where they would be perfect for a seasonal series. The cording just completes it beautifully.

    Great job on all three of your SALs! Over one stitching always looks so delicate and lovely, doesn't it?

    Hope you are both enjoying May--hard to believe it is already 1/3 over! Yikes--time really does pass by quicker as we age... Enjoy your days! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all the stitcheries, but especially the watering can! Lovely finishes!
    Thank you for the link to the pretty little lady too!
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What great stitching! I love your ornaments, such lovely finishes. Love the easel display....how cleaver!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the plaid fabric (and the stitching that goes with it!). The washer and magnets are such a clever idea - I look forward to seeing the rest of the series x

    ReplyDelete
  29. A post full of loveliness! I really like the idea of a Spring tree, it will look beautiful with all the ornies.
    Nice way to work out where the magnets need to go too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So many beautiful projects as always! I cannot wait to see you tree, it will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Mary&RJ, I love the Welcome Spring pillow. The others are nice too.
    Waveing greetings Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  32. Paseando por los blog he visto el tuyo y me encantan tus trabajos el de bienvenida es divino!! haces unos bordados maravillosos!!me quedo por aquí para seguir viendo más.Te dejo el enlace de mi blog para que me visites.
    https://aliegunon.blogspot.com/
    Un fuerte abazo.España

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those little pillows are so sweet RJ, you did wonderfully making each one just that little bit different with the complimenting fabrics. Mary, such a pretty finish and framed with the magnets is ideal.
    SAL - well done ladies.
    I stitched the freebie some time ago for a relatives 80th birthday card, it was very well received.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awe, your bunnies are adorable, what a sweet finish. And their names are perfect!
    All three houses are coming along beautifully.
    RJ, your conversion to the B&B and winter gazebo look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I swear I feel like a broken record. So behind in my part of Blogland. Love the stitching and finishes from both of you. Mary, LOVE that bird. Congratulations on the finish, RJ. It’s just beautiful. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  37. Pretty stitched ornaments for the future Spring tree RJ, I like the idea and also the idea of the chalk board for displaying your embroidery Mary. Gorgeous little Snowflower diaries freebie and good progress on the SAL great work girls.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What lovely projects, as usual ladies! Your trick for lining up your magnets is genius! I have to try this finish, it is such a simple and convenient idea!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have been following your blog for awhile now and i love it!! You are doing such a good job!!! Keep up the great work
    checkoutthisblog

    ReplyDelete
  40. A spring tree...what a nice idea! These 3 ornaments are lovely and I am curious to see also the others.

    ReplyDelete