Follow us by email

Follow us by email

Thursday, January 16, 2020


January/snow
Styling with Stitches
High Fives
Freebie 


Welcome to Stitching Friends.   It's been awhile since we have been able to blog but we are excited to be back.  We have some new features we have added this year that we hope you will enjoy.   Our theme for January is snow and our "styling with stitches" projects will reflect that. You can find all our 2020' themes on the sidebar.

Hope you all had wonderful holidays with your family and friends.   Doesn't that time always go by so quickly?   Our son Mike was here for nine days and the time just flew by.   We missed you all bunches and are so happy to be back in blogging form.


                                                        ⛄⛄⛄


Styling with stitches

RJ's snow project

When I saw these skis in Joanne's, I thought they would make a nice display for a snow stitch.   The pattern "Delivering Snow" by Homespun Elegance seemed to be the right size to fit on the sign that was already there.   This little family of snowmen are on their way to a ski lodge for a winter vacation.  I've never been to a ski resort myself but always thought it would be an enjoyable time.  Sitting by a roaring fire and sipping hot chocolate after a day on the slopes would be so much fun. 

Had to use artificial light today because of cloudy weather and it distorted colors.   All the reds are a true red but they look orange today.
The little "snow family" is on their way to Aspen!

Closeup of the stitch and little tag added to pine cones and plaid bow

Delivering Snow
by Homespun Elegance
40 ct. linen
overdyed floss
skis from Joann's 



⛄⛄⛄





Mary's Snow Project

Tree Lott from the Hometown Holiday series by Little House Needleworks is finally a FFO!!  I stitched this quite some time ago and knew I wanted to finish it as a flat fold.  I finally got up my courage to try it.  I watched Vonna's (The Twisted Stitcher) tutorial and I don't know why I waited so long as it was easy!!

I love the snowy scene

Pre-made cording from Hobby Lobby

LHN Tree Lott
28 ct linen
Called for floss



                                                         ⛄⛄⛄




High Fives

One of our new features is called High Fives.  We have enjoyed reading our friend Arlene's Friday Favorites at Nanaland each Friday.  Why not give it a try we thought. We will be doing these about six times a year which will give you an idea about some of the things we are really enjoying. 


RJ's High Fives (in no particular order)

1.  New Mantra bracelet ... My husband gave me this pretty bracelet for Christmas.   This mantra means the world to me and I have not taken it off since Christmas day.


2.  Gator basketball games ... I love college basketball games and the Gators are my favorite team.  We have season tickets so we get to enjoy all the home games.  Go Gators!!!


 3.  Rizzo's Rules ... I just started my husband George's newest book and I'm hooked.


4.  Needleworker's Sampler...This is my newest stitch that I started on the first of January.   It is such an enjoyable stitch with pretty colors and designs.


5.  Gifts from stitching friends ... I'm still admiring all the pretty gifts I received this year from sweet stitching friends.  Gorgeous cardinal ornaments, adorable notecards, a lovely charm pack, a set of French needleminders, a very pretty blue house ornament, a beautiful hand pieced cardinal wreath, a fun fabric gift box, creative scrabble tile art, delicious chocolate, fancy stitching paper, and a fun patriotic pattern can really put a smile on this girl's face.  Thank you so much Robin, Meg, Manuela, Jutta, Stasi and Arlene for your thoughtfulness and friendship.



                                                          ⛄⛄⛄



Mary's High Fives

Chick-Fil-A Chicken Sandwich-  A  Chick-Fil-A finally opened in NJ and  I was quite surprised at how good it was as I am not a fan of fast food.  It was real chicken!!  I was surprised that the sandwich had pickles on it as pickles and chicken seems an unlikely combo but it was good! Next trip I want to try their mac and cheese.


Trader Joe's Cedarwood & Sage Mulit-Purpose Cleaner- I have terrible perfume allergies so I can't use many cleaning products but this has a light, clean scent and it cleans very well


Beekman 1801 Honeyed Grapefruit Goat Milk Lip Balm-  Have you heard of the Beekman Boy's? They had a reality tv show based in NY and developed a line of goat products.  It comes with a nice little case to carry the balm.


Tulips in my new tulipiere-  My husband brought back the tulipiere from a recent trip to Holland as a Christmas gift for me.  . I spotted these beautiful tulips in Trader Joe's  and with the 68 degree weather in NY  and my cheerful display I am enjoying the break in Winter weather.


Cracker Barrel Christmas Mugs- My husband and I love bears so when I saw these sweet Christmas mugs with a Momma Bear and her two cubs I had to buy us each a new Christmas mug.



                                                       ⛄⛄⛄


Freebie
Hope you like our first freebie of the new year.  This pretty stitch is called "First Snow" and it is by Drawn Thread.  If you would like to stitch it, you can find the chart here.   It would work great on the dotted linen too 




                                                     ⛄⛄⛄


It's been great to be back blogging again.  We look forward to visiting with all of you and seeing what you are working on this new year of 2020'.   At the end of the month we will have our "stitcher's choice" post that we hope you will come back to see.  We really appreciate the time you take to visit and leave a comment.  Hope you are staying warm and enjoying great stitching weather.


                                               Stitching Friends 








37 comments:

  1. So glad to see you back! I've restarted my blog as well. Love the finishes. I'd love to make a flat fold, and your example might just spur me on to give it a try! Thanks for all of the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so nice post :) I follow you on gfc #329 , follow back?

    https://bubasworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Buba! We are happy to have you join us. We will be following you too. Have a great week. RJ

      Delete
  3. Oh I was so excited to see your beautiful stitching. It inspires me as your finishing is just perfection. RJ, I did not know your husband was an author. I will be looking for his books. Mary now I know that the little pottery piece I purchased for my essential oils is really a tulipeer. I learn something every day. And by the way...love that blue and white.
    I also appreciate that you two direct us to the online freebies. So glad you ladies are back....you made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fun to see a post from you ladies! I love both finishes. Vonna's tutorial is great for the flatfolds and keeps me from always needing an easel. I love the 5 from each of you. Mary, Chikfila is serious business in the south. Our is closing in a week because they need to enlarge. I can only imagine how many sandwiches they sell a day. It is unbelievable and the mac and cheese is pretty good. RJ, I had no idea your hubby was published. How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great finish on skis. I also really like the flat folder with the little red tractor. RJ, your new project looks great.
    Oh Mary, we have something in common, I also love bears, so thick and cuddly, you can just hug them. The mug is a dream.
    Nice that you two are back.
    All the best to you, Hugs, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back ladies! Your new projects are so nice, well done, and it is a pleasure to read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello friends great to have you back.
    You have made my Friday even better.
    Always love the work and thoughts you put into your blog.
    It's a joy to read.
    Beautiful stitching , wonderful gifts and goodies .
    Have a lovely January , and big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello RJ and Mary,
    nice to hear from your.
    The ski finishes is amazing. A great idea. I love it very much.
    The flatfold is wonderful. I love to make flatfold, it is very easy.
    Have a nice weekend and a big Hugs, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute finishes, gotta love those skis!
    Great goodies you received RJ.
    Mary,that chicken sandwich looks delicious!
    And that tulipiere is so pretty.
    Wishing you both a Happy New Year!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back you two! You both have been missed. Both of the Styling with Stitches pieces are adorable. Enjoy your new feature, High Fives! I was wondering if there was going to be a book #3. Tell George that I chuckled over the title. Mary, that tulipiere is super. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quelle belle finition les skis, bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! It's so good to have you both back! Missed your great blogs. I grabbed the free chart for the winter cross stitch. I have always liked this one, but just never downloaded it. Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quel plaisir de vous lire de nouveau.
    De bien jolis ouvrages en cours ou terminés. La finition avec les skis est splendide.
    De jolis cadeaux pour Noël. Le vase pour tulipes est superbe.
    A bientôt de vous lire de nouveau.
    Amitiés de France,
    Christel
    http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. So nice to have you both back. Lovely show themed stitching and very unusual finishes!
    Happy 2020

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back! The finishes look great. I love snow stitched on black fabric.
    I stitched the Drawn Thread freebie a few years back. It's a nice fun design I usually get out this time of year. Now I must go and search for it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely to see you both back.
    The ski finish is adorable. The flatfold finish is something I have never tried, although I have seen a few so far this month and must give it a go following Vonna's tutorial not its been brought to my attention more than once.
    Love the tulipiere, I've never seen one of those before.
    I've stitched the Drawn Thread freebie and it hangs on my tree each year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, I follow you on gfc # 333 ,follow back?

    https://lovefashionyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thank you for coming. I will check out your blog too. RJ

      Delete
  18. Can I just say that I missed you two?! I love your two creative snow finishes! It is snowing out my window right now. Over six inches now. Your High Fives are delightful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's so nice to see you two back! We've missed you! Love your snow ski finish, RJ--very creative and fun. I know what you mean about the colors being distorted. For some reason red is always difficult to photograph clearly. And your first flatfold is wonderful, Mary--just love that piece on black even if you didn't enjoy stitching it on black :) I've never done a flatfold--I'm too lazy and just use easels (or I've been known to prop them up with small cans, too--ha ha!).

    Yes, Chick-Fil-A! My favorite when we travel :) And be still my heart--that Delft blue tulipiere with the yellow tulips is perfection. My favorite color combination.

    Congratulations to your husband on his third book, RJ! And your new sampler is looking splendid. Hope you are both enjoying your weekends. And, once again--welcome back ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just wanted you to know that I saw your Blog and wowzer ! Really a great one to kick off the New Year ! I loved the High 5's and that ski decor was just beautiful ! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. It has been a while since I last blogged - over two years and this year I have started blogging again. I have noticed many bloggers have gone away and I am looking for new folks to follow and I found your lovely blog. Thank you for the inspiration. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to have you ladies back.

    I love your new bracelet RJ and the mantra. Is that really your husband who is the author of the book? How cool is that!! I will have to check it out. Love the skis and how you used them in your display.

    Mary your flat fold turned out great ! I want to try that finishing style as well so maybe soon! Chick-Fil-A does serve a delicious sandwich! delicious sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, RJ and Mary! So glad to see a post from you. ;-) We have all missed you online!

    RJ - love the ski display and stitch. Great idea! Sledding is more my thing than skiing, but I did go cross country skiing with a friend in junior high and it was one of the most fun things I've ever done.

    Mary - aren't flat folds fun? I still have to look up Vonna's tutorial each time I do one just to make sure I'm doing it right, but I love how economical they are and how they fold flat for storage. Definitely a great alternative to framing. Your Tree Lot stitch is super cute. How did you like stitching on black?

    Love the High Fives feature. That's one of my favorites on Arlene's blog. RJ - your needleworkers' sampler is so pretty! I know you were enjoying this one and I can see why. I love the woman in the middle with the giant needle and long thread, like a flag. Lots of nice goodies you received for Christmas! ;-)

    Mary - We've had Chick Fil A a few times - still trying to find our favorite thing there. I love their waffle fries.

    Looking forward to your next post! Sending big hugs to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yea.....So good to have you ladies back and blogging!!! You've been missed!
    RJ, the ski idea turned out so darn cute--love it! I can't believe how much you've gotten stitched on Needleworker's Sampler (who is the designer) since Jan.1st!
    Mary, your Tree Lot is so sweet and I do love it on the black (hope it didn't cause too much eye strain). Love the High Five idea too..adds a nice personal touch.
    Welcome back ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely to see you back in blogland ... your Drawn Thread freebie is already on my to stitch list.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear RJ, dear Mary,
    how wonderful, finally the time has come and you have written a new post, I missed you very much!!!! How beautifully you have implemented the theme of snow, both works have been very well done, I love it.
    I am already looking forward to further posts from you, best regards from Berlin, your Jutta

    ReplyDelete
  27. So lovely to have you two Ladies back in blogland, I am just returning to blogging after a year's hiatus, also. It is lovely to see so many old friends still here and to meet some new ones. Lovely stitching as always. I do love the two snow designs and finishes and I am pretty sure that I have stitched that freebie, too, but like Jo, I do wonder where it has gone?

    ReplyDelete
  28. RJ: I am so happy to see you and Mary back, we have missed you both so much.
    I love the ski design mount, what a beautiful finish to your cross stitch design.
    Today the new book by your Husband arrived.
    I love all your gifts, you are loved.
    That Sampler is beautiful.
    The bracelet is beautiful so true we all need Believe.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mary: I love your flat-fold, the finish is perfect.
    I love Chick-Fil-A chicken, I wish we had one close-by.
    That cleaner is an amazing product.
    I love the flower frog, so pretty and the mug makes me want to have some coffee now.
    The first time I used Beekman's was a few years ago, the hand lotion is amazing, I have not tried the lip balm, I think I need to.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello dear Mary and RJ,

    Lovely to come back here. The finish with skies is so gorgeous! Love the flatfold too ... And that sampler and the bear mug and LOL The high five- theme is a great beginning of 2020 and a joy to read. Thank you and Happy 2020 to both of you and your families!

    xxx Carolien

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bentornata nel blog, i tuoi progetti sono davvero interessanti. Buon 2020, anche se in ritardo !!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for the freebie. I have just now printed it out and it looks great!

    All your stitching is lovely -- and there's a mystery writer in the mix! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, nice post. I follow you #335 ,follow back?

    http://itsmetijana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. How nice to have you both back and blogging!
    I LOVE both of your finished snow pieces, they turned out fantastic.
    Your high fives are great, what fun to put together.

    ReplyDelete